Thursday, April 17, 2014

And So It Begins

Bill and I are Xanterra employees once again.  I've been busy preparing for the arrival of the Madison Campground staff and the training that will follow.  Bill is working pre-season this year in the Computer Center.  He has been busy updating computers and setting up front desks in the park.  So, while I've been working in Mammoth, Bill has been going into the interior to set up offices.

This is the first time we are both working pre-season, so our days off don't match up so well.  We knew this would be probably be the case, and it's OK.  It's just for a few weeks, and we are both enjoying our jobs very much.  Once we get to Canyon Campground for the bulk of the summer, we will once again have days off together.

While I haven't been able to get out in the park, here are a couple of pictures taken in our RV park.  This first picture proves you never know what goes on when you are away from your rig.

And this picture shows the view from our back window.  Can you see the herd of bison heading back into Yellowstone?
The Madison Campground staff are pulling into the RV park today and will check in with HR tomorrow morning.  Tomorrow afternoon is what I refer to as the "meet and greet," and training starts in earnest Saturday morning at 8:00...and so it begins.

13 comments:

  1. Love the pictures. I will work inside the park one of these years but without a car this year it does not make sense to stay in the park. I am looking for someone to hike with though. My days off will be on Wed and Thurs from my job in Cody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll find some co-workers who want to hike. There is lots to explore in and around Cody. Have a great summer!

      Delete
  2. Hope to work there one of these days, a few years ago our son worked at one of the hotels. Hope you have a great season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like buffalo in your campsite to make it terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say that I have been reading your blog for a while now because my husband and I aspire to go full time in our 5th wheel when we "reture" in another 30+ years. But your blog has inspired our family (we have a 3 year old) to come to Yellowstone (and Grand Teton) this June for 17 days total from San Diego. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristin, Your comment made me smile. In June, we will be at Canyon Campground. Please come by and say hello.

      Delete
  5. Awww,I love that the buffalo are visiting. Just hope they don't rub on the RV like the elk like to do in Estes Park:) Have a great start to your summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bison have been known to rub on RVs. We have learned to look before we step out of the rig.

      Delete
  6. I tent camped in one of the campgrounds there many years ago. In that camp we had Bison freely roaming through the camp. They were there the evening when we crashed and no more than 10 feet from the picnic table while we ate breakfast the next morning. Looking back on it is kind of spooky, they are wild animals and unpredictable after all. Your picture reminds me of that camp.
    Good to see things are off to what sounds like a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Love reading about your experiences and seeing the photos from Yellowstone! I'll be arriving in Canyon Village in a few weeks to work for Delaware North in the General Store. It's my first time visiting this part of the country, and I have to say, my biggest concern for the trip out is the weather in early spring. I've read up on it, but could you tell me about any spring snow storm experiences you've had? Hope you're enjoying the season so far!
    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica! Spring is a wonderful time in Yellowstone. No crowds and a good chance to see wildlife. Yes, we do get spring storms with snow...sometimes, lots of snow. However, the Park Service is good about clearing/sanding roads, or closing them if needed. Are you in an RV or staying in a dorm? We'll be at Canyon Campground. Best wishes for a wonderful summer!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip! I'll be staying in the dorm. Sounds like it will be freshman year all over again, ha! Sounds like we'll practically be neighbors if you guys are going to be in Canyon. Maybe we'll see each other around! The time can't pass fast enough...I'm ready to be on the road right now. :) tootles!

      Delete