Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Day Off Together...Finally!

With my training schedule, days off vary from week to week.  Bill, however, is off on Saturdays and Sundays.  Well, this past Sunday we both had the day off.  I would love to say we spent a day playing in the park, but that wasn't to be.  With things starting to get really busy, we knew we had to drive to Bozeman and stock up on supplies.  Who knows when we will get the opportunity again?

We met our friends, Gene and Joyce, for lunch at Burger Bob's, a great place if you're in the mood for a good burger.  After that it was Costco, Walmart, Smith's Grocery Store, and a haircut for me.  Getting a haircut can be very interesting.  Fortunately, I got lucky this time, and actually received a cut I really like.

On Monday, Bill was working Mammoth, and I had to drive up in the afternoon to be here for training that starts on Tuesday morning.  I was given a room in the Mammoth Hotel for a couple of nights, so it's almost like a working vacation.  Last night, after enjoying the dinner fare in the employee dining room, we took a walk around "officer's row," which are former houses for the Officers in the U.S. Army, when they were in charge of Yellowstone, before the National Park Service was established in 1916.  (Speaking of Officers...Ryan, my West Point graduate nephew, was recently promoted to Captain.  We are so proud!)

Following our walk, we attended a talk in the "Map Room" of the Mammoth Hotel.  The talk was a slide show based on a 1902 scrapbook of a New York's couple visit to Yellowstone.  It was amazing to see how some things have changed so much in the park, while others remain the same.

So, while Bill and I are both working, it is nice to play tourist just a bit.  I'm hoping there will be another talk tonight.

7 comments:

  1. Have I already told you "I love your life" I hope to work in YS when I get on the road. Any tips for getting work there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my life, too! Bill and I are very blessed. To learn about working in Yellowstone, go to www.yellowstonejobs.com.

      Delete
  2. I sure would like to have seen that talk in the Map Room. Mammoth is at the top of my favorite Yellowstone areas. Just love it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The talk was so much fun. The speaker was a 35-year Yellowstone employee. He bought an old scrapbook from an antique store in New Mexico. He had researched the couple in the scrapbook and shared lots of interesting details about them and their trip via train from NY to YNP.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had some time together except exhaustion in the evening, even if it was shopping.

    Congratulations to your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exhaustion is right! No matter how you look at it, shopping in Bozeman makes for a long day. Yes, we are so proud of our nephew!

      Delete
  4. Haircuts is why my hair is always long and in a ponytail. I always hated going to a salon anyway, now on the road it's worse! I've had ONE haircut in the past three years that I've liked :-(.

    ReplyDelete